Friday, February 19, 2010

I'm tired, but this is so worth it

Wow, the last few weeks have been terrific! Ms. B. has welcomed me into her classroom with open arms. The kids are typical teenagers with typical teenage issues. Navigating that is a challenge, but I am settling in well. In fact, I don't want to leave! I think that is an excellent sign, considering hopefully soon I won't be!

My Art I class just finished a nature & technology project in which they explored contour line, hand drawings and thought about the effect (positive or negative) that technology has on nature. Soon we will begin one of my projects: Newspaper Self Portraits. Every kid talks about his or her ability to make a photo-realistic image. We are going to look at value and use text collage to create dark medium and light tones on their self portrait. They won't be drawing, though. The students will be using a black and white printout of their image and building the collage directly on top. The result should be pretty awesome.

Art II is working on Identity Cups. Students will think about what they show the world and create a 3-D texturized cup to represent themselves. They will also think about what they "fill their cup" with-friends, faith, fun, etc. It should be challenging for them to think in terms of a metaphor and also controlling the clay. I just pray that they don't get frustrated!

Speaking of frustrated, my advanced class is pushing my limits. I believe they are used to their teacher and see me as a "substitute". It has been a challenge keeping them focused on their plaster carving project that I developed for them.

I am tired now. I am going to take a deep breath, pack my bag, and head home for a hot bath!

Until next time...thanks for visiting Ms. Meggles Art Room!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Mrs. Meggles. Sounds like you are doing fine.

    Mrs. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the worst part about being in another teacher's classroom! And when you get your first real teaching job, you get to deal with a few weeks of "But Mrs.Formerartteacher used to let us _____!" Sounds like you have some cool projects going!

    ReplyDelete